-
January 25th, 2001, 12:07 PM
#1
Inactive Member
If I understood your question, you loaded different banks in the EWS 64 RAM. To choose single sounds via bank select, they have to be assigned to different variations in Ed!son(at leats as far as I know, I?m always doing this by assigning different programs to my sounds). If you want to do this with Logic, you should be able to do it with the GM mixer in GS mode as the EWS 64 synth is GS compatible.
Bye, Philipp
-
January 25th, 2001, 04:54 PM
#2
Inactive Member
Sorry about this lame question, I didn?t use my ews64 for longtime, and now I can?t find out how I am to use banks.
Say, I load more different banks in the Set Manager. These banks are ".tts", but contain just one single instrument: a flute or a synth, etc. Just one instrument; no variations. The sounds are taken, say, from a collection CD, like TerraPack; there are hundreds of them there; therefore, their "program number" is always "1".
Now, I can?t find out how can I play (or better said: choose) them at the same time. Say, I wanna play the flute (bank 1) on midi channel 1, and the synth (bank 2) on midi channel 2. I tried every conceivable protocol in Logic - "controller 0", "controller 32", "controller 0 + value + controller 32 + 0" - but I can?t select two banks simultaneously.
It this possible at all? and if yes, how am I to proceed? I simply can?t believe that I?m to edit each of those banks in Edison, setting them on another program number!
Can someone help me on this?
TIA
Daniele
-
January 25th, 2001, 08:08 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Hm, I hoped it would not be this way:-( So, if I wanna use sounds from TerraPack, I have to edit them first in Edison, change their prog number to a unique identifier and store them like that? This would limit my sound library to 128 sounds, since the midi standard cannot more. This is very bad news for me. Thanx anyway.
Daniele
-
January 25th, 2001, 08:09 PM
#4
Inactive Member
Hm, I hoped it would not be this way:-( So, if I wanna use sounds from TerraPack, I have to edit them first in Edison, change their prog number to a unique identifier and store them like that? This would limit my sound library to 128 sounds, since the midi standard cannot more. This is very bad news for me. Thanx anyway.
Daniele
-
January 25th, 2001, 08:27 PM
#5
HB Forum Owner
Hi,
Just a hint in case you didn't see it yet: We have an article about how you should handle all that soundbank-, programs and variations stuff. You'll find it in the EWSoundZine --> Articles at www.ews64.com
Good luck,
Arnoud.
-
January 26th, 2001, 07:50 AM
#6
Inactive Member
Arnaud, thanx again for helping in this one. Right now, I?m reading this article, which qualifies the AWE cards as "crappy pseudo sampler cards"...man, I?m not an AWE fan, but I still have to look around very long for finding a patch editor in the class of Vienna, and I?m affraid I won?t find any.
The articles in EWSsoundZine does not answer to my problem. Should I define my problem again? Ok, my problem is: I have thousands of sounds. For instance, I have those 3 TerraPack CDs. It seems that I?m able to TEST them, loading each one into the memory - but I?m not able to actually USE them (not without doing heavy editing in Edison first). Is my understanding correct?
In each and every sampler of the world - you name it, I had it (er...most of them :-) ...the way of using banks is the same: you load more banks (or you already have them into the ROM, like in Roland JD or JV series) - you do a bank change command, which gives you access to another 128 sounds, and from this moment you can use those 128 sounds in no respect to what?s happening on another midi channels. On each midi channel you can access whatever bank you want, whatever program out of those 128, and live happy till God takes you into better a world:-)
Not so in our EWS64. Here (as it seems) I have either: to have my sounds already assigned to different program numbers (which limits me to 128 sounds, let alone the fact that I have to fill up papers, with lists to consult when I want to use a sound: will it be the only sound with the prog number 49?)
- or to make complete sets of sounds, like the GM set, including variations etc - where I won?t be able to replace a sound "on the fly".
Again, I?m not sure if I correctly understood the way things work in EWS. But if they work the way I said, this is no good way.
Thank you again for helping, and my thanks go to Philippz as well.
Regards
Daniele
[This message has been edited by Daniele del Bosco (edited January 26, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by Daniele del Bosco (edited January 26, 2001).]
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks